Let's see. What have we been up to? Eating, as usual.
Alison turned the big 2-4 last week, so to celebrate, we had brunch at Foreign Cinema on one of the most gorgeous San Francisco days I've seen in months. Sunny but not too hot, it was the perfect opportunity to sit on the back patio and enjoy some amazing food. The chef at FC is well-known for his eggs - he has a cookbook called City Egg, Country Egg that is going on my Christmas list - and 4/6 of us ordered the exact same dish: poached eggs drizzled with a balsamic reduction, served with prosciutto, sauteed greens, and garlic potatoes.
The photo didn't do it justice. Needless to say, 4/6 of us ordered correctly.
The birthday brunch idea was really perfect: not too crazy, not too expensive, and considering that Alison was burned out from her weekend prior in Vegas, not too alcoholic.
Happy Birthday Alfie!!!
Tim's parents were in town, so we went out for dinner at Beretta and brunch (again!) the next day at B Star*, which is a Burmese-inspired restaurant that serves delicious and unique food. They're the sister-restaurant to Burma Superstar, which is famous for its fermented tea leaf salad... tastier than it sounds.
Lauren and Angela at Beretta:
And Tim at B Star*:
Last week, I also started taking a 7-week intro to acrylic painting class, which I'm very excited about. The class is offered through the City College of San Francisco, and of the twelve or so people taking the class, I'd say 8 are chic girls under 30. Quelle surprise! I'm hoping to end the course with something I can hang on my barren walls... Our first class was dedicated to black and white, learning about the properties of the medium and how to blend and shade. We watched a demo, then got to try our hand at a still life of our own. Mine didn't turn out too badly!
At the very least, it feels good to relieve stress and make something pretty. Maybe I'll go into graffiti next :)
... or maybe not.
Reading: Jonathan Franzen, Freedom (IT'S AMAZING!!)
Listening: www.hypem.com/kcp
What fun the painting class sounds like! You need to let your creative side out more!
ReplyDeleteWe missed you this weekend!
xo
Rachel and the Ladies