
I've tried meditating before - briefly - and had a pretty rough time. My butt hurt. My back hurt. My nose itched. I couldn't concentrate on not concentrating. I kept thinking about things, like what I was going to get from the grocery store, and what my plans were for the weekend. And that was only a 30 minute session!
But from what I understand, these meditation centers offer a very Bay Area-influenced experience (i.e., the food served is very tasty, made from local, organic, sustainable, vegetarian ingredients). And especially after reading a recent article in the Times about how meditation may change the brain:
M.R.I. brain scans taken before and after the participants’ meditation regimen found increased gray matter in the hippocampus, an area important for learning and memory. The images also showed a reduction of gray matter in the amygdala, a region connected to anxiety and stress. A control group that did not practice meditation showed no such changes.Pretty compelling stuff, hmm? So, who's with me?
Reading: Cat's Cradle
Listening: Magnetic Man, Getting Nowhere
No comments:
Post a Comment