Monday, November 16, 2009

kanpai!

I hate how early it gets dark in the wintertime. It makes me feel like it's so much later than it really is. Right now, it's 6:45, and I'm pretty much ready to go to bed - I couldn't motivate myself to go to the gym after work today, and I'm trying to convince myself that I should at least go wash my sheets/towels at the laundromat if I'm not going to the gym, but even that sounds tremendously unappealing. Maybe I'll call it "Life Day Off" and see how that works out...

Had another great weekend: Friday night, Tim's band had an album release party at a bar in the Inner Richmond called the Abbey Tavern, and it was a great show (for those of you who haven't heard his band's music, listen here!). They drew a pretty large crowd who seemed really into their music, and delivered a high-energy show of both original songs and covers. Tim's fun coworkers also showed up in force, and now that I know all of them, I'm all the more excited about the Bain Holiday party :)

Before the show, Tim and I got takeout at a place called Burma Superstar, which is a ridiculously popular Burmese restaurant on Clement Street. Tim and a few of his coworkers and I tried to get dinner there about a year ago, but gave up after waiting for over 1.5 hours for a table (for 4 people!). This time, we had the perfect solution: we ordered takeout! It was ready in 20 minutes, and we waltzed right by all the people that had been waiting outside in the cold for way too long, and didn't have to pay tip :)

I had never had Burmese food before, but it was delicious! We had the Tea Leaf salad , (which is listed as one of the 100 Things To Try Before You Die according to 7x7 Magazine - of which I've now accomplished 8), the Rainbow Salad, and a black bean chicken dish (which wasn't quite as special, but very solid).

The Tea Leaf Salad:


Black Bean Chicken with Asparagus:


Also before the show, while Tim was setting up/sound-checking/drinking beer with purpose, I toodled off to Green Apple Bookstore, which is a stunningly awesome used/new bookstore that I wish I lived closer to (though perhaps that's good for my wallet...) Piled from floor to ceiling with books, sprinkled throughout with stickies of staff recommendations, it's a very happy place. The vibe reminds me a lot of Shakespeare and Co. in Paris, though perhaps bigger.





I spent about 2 hours there, and could have sat there much longer, but ended up walking out with 3 books: Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides; On Beauty, by Zadie Smith; and All The Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy. I just finished The Road, also by Cormac McCarthy, and LOVED it - could barely put it down, despite how utterly dark, bleak, and depressing it was. I cried at the end, which is always a good indicator of a book that got under your skin. I'd highly recommend it.

Anyway, I'm reading Middlesex first, and I'll keep you posted. It's good so far...

Saturday, after watching Stanford beat USC (!!!), Tim and I went down to Stanford to meet up with his parents Lauren, his sister, for dinner at a Japanese restaurant I can't remember the name of. It's the one in the same complex as the Secret Safeway off Sand Hill - you've probably passed it without giving it a second glance. It was AWESOME, and we left SO full, with *just enough* of a food coma to make sitting through Lauren's symphony show slightly challenging.

Sunday, went to the Bell Tower with the roommates/a few other SF tridelts for a delicious brunch, then met up with Jane and Nate in Japantown to hang out for the afternoon. I adore all the cuteness of Japantown (sushi-shaped erasers, chopstick holders, slippers, Hello Kitty stationary, etc etc), and I couldn't resist buying myself an Origami-a-Day desk calendar. We walked up Fillmore Street through Pac Heights and headed over to Tim's for a beer before driving to Yu-Zen for some excellent sushi (excellent as always). I'm a little concerned about giving myself mercury poisoning, with all the sushi I've been eating, but I think it's worth it?

Jane and Nate at the height of Pac Heights overlooking the Golden Gate bridge. So great to see them!!


I'll be presenting my final project tomorrow... wish me luck! I'm so excited to know that by this time tomorrow, I'll be done done done. Happy hour, anyone?

PS - I'm thinking about dying my hair. Reddish blonde. Strawberry blonde, perhaps. Something like this:


Or like this, but with highlights/lowlights:


(Clearly, dying my hair will transform me into Amy Adams or Gwyneth Paltrow...)

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment