(Picture stolen from 101 Cookbooks - mine weren't nearly so pretty)

Then, a couple days ago, I got inspired by a new issue of Bon Appetit and made Triple Ginger Cookies. The batter was SUPER tasty, but the cookie consistency was disappointing - they were soft and fluffy, and I think I was hoping for something denser and chewier. The recipe calls for butter, so I might try substituting margarine or shortening next time, or adding baking powder to the recipe. I also wanted about 3 times as much chopped crystallized ginger in there.
But somehow, Tim said that these were the "best cookies I've ever made." Best. Ever? Let's look back on my baking history here: I've made him chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, raggedy robins, iced oatmeal lemon cookies - all of which are way better than these cookies. We don't tend to agree on desserts anyway, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but maybe we'll be able to work through our differences somehow...
And then tonight I baked another pumpkin pie - the real thing! - for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner with the RMPs. It didn't turn out as beautifully as the first one - I think there were air bubbles under the crust that burst and cracked the surface of the pie, but I think it will taste even better. For those of you who don't know my thanksgiving plans, I'm going to an RMP "strays" potluck party. Though I didn't have high expectations for the dinner, I actually think it's going to be quite good. Currently on the menu:
Turkey
Stuffing (cornbread and regular)
Sweet potatoes
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
Brussel sprouts
Cranberry relish (fresh! mom's recipe)
Pumpkin pie
Ice cream
I'll be missing out on curried fruit, so Mom will have to add that to the list of things to make for Christmas dinner. I couldn't bring any because i don't have any corningware/similar bakeware. Not that we have space in the kitchen for that... but I miss it for the express purpose of making curried fruit, chicken diable, and chicken and rice.
So let's see, what has happened this week. Sara came in town! Yay!!! We met up with a few Stanford alums for dinner at Darbar on Friday night (amazing), then Saturday, met at Mayfield Bakery with Becca for brunch before heading over to Big Game :)
Big Game was very fun, mildly debaucherous. We hung out at the Sigma Nu alumni tailgate for a while, and ran into a lot of current tridelts who caught me up on all the gossip. It's particularly interesting to me to see where the seniors are going to be working next year - Cordova will be at Google, Snorm at Bain, Kyla with TFA, etc etc. Sara and I got tickets to the game, but got distracted in actually going TO the game, and ended up selling them to Melissa and Jess Lu who wanted them much more desperately than we did (though I'm not sure they made it to the actual game either...)
In the end, Stanford lost the game, and I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't watch it. Instead, I went to Thai City, and had some fabulous thai food with Tim, Tom, Lauren, and Sara. Sara and I barely survived the caltrain ride before coming home and passing out at 11:30.
Sunday was my day of accomplishments! I wrote thank you notes, picked up the tv stand, bought a microwave, went grocery shopping, and worked out. Of course, the microwave hasn't been taken out of the box, and the TV stand hasn't been set up, but that's what this weekend is for :)
Oh yes, I meant to tell you about my final project/the final week of my rotation. The presentation went so much more smoothly than either of our practice rounds, and we managed to get through the whole thing in our timeline. I was commended on my presentation style, which is so amazing for me because I usually get tripped up on nerves! And Kate, my partner, did really well too.
I'm sad to be leaving the Women's Plus team, but I'm excited to be moving on to a new function: Old Navy Production, Girls Woven Tops & Accessories. Old Navy again... sort of bummed about that, but hey - I'll know the business *very* well at the end of this one.
Bring on the sparkles/sequins/sassy slogans!!


STOP THE PRESSES.
I just wrapped up the pumpkin pie that I made, and realized.
...
I forgot the sugar in the pie.
Dammit.
Kati and I just tasted it... it's bad. Bad. AUGHSKDJ. Well, it would be really good if there were sugar in it. It was seasoned well - I especially like the coconut milk instead of sweetened condensed, though it could have used more cinnamon. It's also missing bourbon, too, though I don't have any on hand. Maybe I can break in to Tim's apartment and steal some...
Well, tomorrow will include more baking than I had planned. That's ok - I'll just be so sick of pumpkin pie I won't want to make another for at least a year!
Reading: Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides. It's awesome.
A quote to leave you with, from a Vanity Fair interview with Andre Agassi:
VF: "Whose talents do you most admire?"
AA: "Roger Federer."
Ballsy.
No comments:
Post a Comment