Wednesday, October 28, 2009

jack-o-lanterns

Last weekend, the parents came, saw, and conquered san francisco - they even managed to navigate the public transportation system, which is perhaps the most impressive feat of all. The weather turned out remarkably well, and Mom complained that it was too hot for her wardrobe. It's also great to see that I didn't cash in all the good weather chips yet: it's forecasted to be sunny and 68 degrees on Sunday for the race, which is just about perfect.

But back to the visit - Thursday night, we went to The Nook (my favorite) and enjoyed happy hour and hot sandwiches. Friday, Mom and Dad came and met me at work for lunch, and I think they were totally and thoroughly impressed by the whole thing. I had a disastrous commute trying to meet them, which made things a little more rushed than I would have liked, but the cafe was great as usual, and we got to sit outside in the sunshine. Tim joined us after work for dinner at Zare at Fly Trap ((website), where I had to-die-for duck legs, Tim got gorgonzola steak, and Mom and Dad both had lamb. Our appetizer was certainly noteworthy: spiced bone marrow, served with bergamot jelly and black sea salt (!!!). It was actually quite tasty, but I think the bergamot jelly was my favorite part.

Saturday, we met up in the morning to head over to the farmer's market. California didn't disappoint - there was just as much sustainable, local, organic, natural, overpriced produce as always! We sampled some great fruits and veggies, almond brittle, and cheese, and ate lunch at Taylor's.



Then we headed down to the Peninsula for Reunion Homecoming. I was supposed to meet up with a Tridelt contingency to raid the house, but only about 3 people showed up, one of whom was already belligerently drunk (4pm). We headed over to the Tridelt/Kappa Sig Tailgate, but I hardly recognized anyone - all sophomores that I didn't really know, or met once during rush. Met up with the parents and the Boles again for dinner, though, and then headed over to the Young Alumni tailgate, which was much more fun - mostly consisted of grads in the bay area, but I can't blame people in foreign countries for not coming home for their *first* reunion homecoming (cough BRIA cough SARA).

The football game, though, was actually the best part: Dad managed to befriend an elderly gentleman who had a few extra tickets he was more than happy to give away... in the SKYBOX! We were on the 50 yard line, next to the coaches' box. Gene Washington came up and visited during half time, and the best part was that Stanford won the game :)

Sunday, we walked down to Japantown for the morning, and I bought some gorgeous Japanese prints to hang in my room (see photo). Mom and I toodled off and went shopping - got ALL my christmas shopping done for the kiddos, and mom got me a lovely motorcycle jacket from Martin and Osa that I've already worn several times. It's super warm and super stylin'.



After shopping, we met up with the Boles again to check out the new Richard Avedon exhibit at the SFMoMA (great exhibit!) then to Yu-Zen for yet another fabulous sushi dinner. I got my parents to try eel, and while it wasn't their favorite, I was proud.



Work has been hectic this week - final project is off and rolling, and we're right in the middle of line adoption. Something I thought I'd never say: I'm sick of colors. I had a dream about coloring shirts, and that was enough of a sign for me (sonya begonia? or hot flash? or shot of love? or electric cantelope?!). Last night, though, Alison and I went to a pumpkin carving party, and had a really great time - met a lot of new people, mostly older Stanford grads. Can you spot my pumpkin?



(second row, very left. I'm a very traditional jack-o-lantern kind of girl.)

This year, I may make pumpkin pie from SCRATCH. Oh the adventure!

Alison and I also went to the laundromat today after work to wash all our sheets and towels. We felt SO productive. Tomorrow's adventure will be buying a microwave...

Reading: Ender's Game. A young adult book, but very enjoyable! (Sara's friend Bruce recommended it to me saying, "You've never read Ender's Game?? I'm so jealous you have yet to have that experience!" - A ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one)

No comments:

Post a Comment